FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: June 20, 2022
Fox Lake Police Department begins Fourth of July safety campaign to encourage safe and sober driving
Fox Lake, Ill.(June 20, 2022)- Fox Lake Police Department announced its plans for July Fourth traffic enforcement with a focus on impaired and unbuckled drivers. The safety campaign will run from June 16 through the early-morning hours of July 5 to encompass three summer weekends leading up to and after Independence Day.
“It’s simple: If you’re driving, don’t drink or use marijuana or other drugs. Our officers will be working around the clock to keep impaired drivers off the road and enforce all other traffic laws,” said Chief Jimmy Lee.
Fox Lake Police Department will join the Illinois State Police and more than 200 local police and sheriff’s departments for the increased statewide enforcement effort.
Use these tips to help ensure a happy and safe holiday:
- Designate a sober driver and give them your keys before you go out.
- Don’t let friends or family members drive under the influence.
- If you are drunk or impaired by marijuana or other drugs, call a taxi, take mass transit, use your favorite ride-sharing app, or call a sober friend or family member to get you home safely.
- Promptly report drunk drivers to law enforcement by pulling over and dialing 911.
- Make sure everyone in your vehicle wears their seat belt. It’s not only the law, but also your best defense against an impaired driver.
The “Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over,” “Drive High Get a DUI” and “Click It or Ticket” programs are made possible by federal highway safety funds administered by the Illinois Department of Transportation. The enforcement period runs concurrently with IDOT’s media campaign, reminding motorists that “It’s Not a Game” to drive impaired.
About the Village of Fox Lake: The Village of Fox Lake (population 10,700) is located 55 miles northwest of downtown Chicago and 20 miles west of Waukegan, Illinois. Fox Lake is located in Lake and McHenry counties. The Village is located on the South Shore of Pistakee Lake, Nippersink Lake, and Fox Lake, three connected water bodies that form part of the Chain O’Lakes system.
Chief – Fox Lake Police Department